- Full Time
- Richmond, CA or Gardena, CA
- Posted 3 weeks ago
- Division: Richmond Wholesale
- Supervisory Function: No
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Salary: $100,000 - $120,000/yr
- Reports To: Product Development Manager
Richmond Wholesale is a global wholesale food distribution enterprise with a proud legacy serving hotels, restaurants, retailers, and the U.S. military at home and abroad.
Our organization’s culture is defined by the values of Humbly Confident, Mindfulness, Collaboration, Customer Success, and Innovation. If these values are inspiring to you and you thrive in a team-based environment, then this may be a great opportunity for you.
- Outstanding company culture: work/life balance and employee recognition programs
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefits package, including medical/dental/vision insurance and, employee assistance program (EAP)
- Employer 401K contribution program
- Generous vacation pay and sick pay
- company paid holidays and 2 floating holidays
- Employee food discount program and more!
Working independently and exercising good judgment and discretion, this position is primarily responsible for analyzing the market to identify and pursue product development opportunities with new private label and national brand sources while assessing those capabilities to meet the Company’s strategic goals. These products/services are to be negotiated and contracted at best possible price while maintaining the required quality under the Company’s quality standards. These quality standards are based on customer requirements and maintaining a best-in-class service level.
- Responsible for strategically researching and developing new and innovative items with prospective suppliers at the best possible market prices while meeting or exceeding quality standards.
- Research market reports (daily and periodic) and trends, Meat Buyers Guide, and industry-related articles to enhance knowledge base and identify product growth areas.
- Issues and monitors company quotation requests for all new material to be purchased and maintains contact with all markets and vendors through personal contact, professional associations, and trade publications.
- Accurately secures and presents complete price quotes for all departments as needed; communicate product opinions to Sales/Account Management teams (i.e., pricing and product quality options and availability of appropriate substitutions).
- Obtains and maintains the most current price lists for all vendors (i.e., daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly).
- Assists in facilitating the recall process, including communication with external vendors and the internal Recall Team.
- Works with Accounts Payable and the vendor when issues arise within 24 hours of notification.
- Collaborates with affiliate companies to secure synergistic Company procurement.
- Conducts internal presentations and provides all necessary product information, including point of sale, pricing, product specs, lead time, private label capabilities, and all available exclusive opportunities.
- Prepares, reviews, and negotiates contracts and vendor agreements for legal correctness, price, and acceptability of items to specifications (includes negotiating allowances, discounts, rebates, and term discounts from vendors).
- Obtains and maintains private label specification sheets for all items under their given area of responsibility.
- Negotiates agreements with suppliers to attain acceptable quality, lowest price, and timely deliveries for the company.
- Establishes and maintains a vendor rating system. This system should form the basis for selecting vendors for future needs.
- Establishes and directs a cost reduction program aimed at lowering overall purchased goods costs.
- Visits vendor facilities and assists in the Quality Assurance of the RW products, especially internal private brands.
- Strictly adheres to Richmond Wholesale’s employment policies, departmental operating policies, and federal and state regulatory and compliance laws pertaining to our business and industry.
- Actively maintains a collaborative spirit/dialogue with other departments and Associates to promote workplace harmony and productivity, embracing and fostering the Company’s mission.
The position requires a four-year degree, preferably in business, and 5 – 8 years of food purchasing experience, or an equivalent in combined education and work experience. Manufacturing or warehousing experience preferred. Experience in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel skills required.
ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES ESSENTIAL TO THE FUNCTION OF THE JOB
Communication and Comprehension
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing to convey clear, well-articulated information.
- Ability to understand, speak, and write English to convey messages and correspond articulately and professionally.
- Possesses public communication skills that allow the professional representation of Richmond Wholesale to a variety of business, government and community customers and associates.
- Must be detail-oriented with strong organizational skills and have consistent and disciplined follow-through.
- Intuitively able to reason, analyze information and events, and apply judgment to solve problems of both a routine and complex nature.
- Must be able to work under stress, presenting a calm, professional demeanor at all times
Physical and Sensory Abilities
- May be required to travel to local off-site locations occasionally.
- Frequently required to sit for extended periods to perform deskwork or type on a keyboard.
- Regularly required to hear and speak to communicate orally effectively.
- Required to stand, walk, and climb stairs to move about the facilities.
- Handle materials, reach overhead, kneel, or stoop to conduct business.
- Regularly lift tenor fewer pounds (occasionally lift up to 30 pounds).
The working environment in which one will typically perform the essential functions of this position is a climate-controlled office setting. It is well lighted, and the noise level is moderate.
Works remotely (requires two days per month on-site).
This job description is designed to provide an employee with a basic understanding of job responsibilities entailed in the performance of his or her job with Richmond Wholesale. It is not intended to be all-inclusive. This description does not constitute an employment contract, either expressed or implied. Employment with Richmond Wholesale is at-will and may be terminated by either the employee or Richmond Wholesale with or without advance notice for any reason or for no reason at all. Only the President is authorized to make changes to any policy. Job responsibilities are subject to change at the discretion of management. Efforts will be made to provide advanced notice of such changes whenever possible.Back to job listing